Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Tip Tuesday! - Inspiration

"Tip Tuesday!" - Inspiration

I love learning new things and then sharing that knowledge with my quilting friends. So, every Tuesday I'll provide some tips, hints, tricks, tutorials, shortcuts, etc. that I've learned over the years and share them here on the blog. 

"Tip Tuesday" will be a collection of information about a wide variety of subjects garnered from a large variety of sources.  I am not an expert by any means and do not take credit for being the great wizard behind all of these hints and tips. I will gladly give due credit whenever possible.

These tips will be archived and accessible to you just by clicking on the "Tip Tuesday" tab above. 

Read, enjoy, and be inspired! 


What inspires you to create quilts?

Sometimes I quilt because I have to.
 
          **I have to make a class sample.
          **I have to make a gift or custom quilt for someone.
       
Usually, when I have to quilt for the reasons above, I have specific patterns or fabrics that I need to use. Although that's ok, there are other times that I am the one who has to make all the decisions. What pattern? What fabric? How big? That can be a real challenge!

So, I look around for inspiration. I look EVERYWHERE. 

 

I often look for inspiration on the internet.I love to check out the various blogs I follow. These people are some of the most creative, talented, and interesting people and I'm happy that they allow me to stalk follow them. 

Sometimes, life itself is all the inspiration I need. In my various volunteer opportunities (Stein Hospice, Bras for a Cause, 3-Day - 60 mile Walk, Domestic Violence Shelter advocate, etc.), I've met people who face dire situations every day. Every single day! That sure puts thing in perspective for me. 

Many of my donation quilts are made as a result of hearing about someone in need, or simply that someone needs a "fiber hug." It humbles me to think that my simple little quilt might give them some comfort or make them laugh.

 
I love it when an idea hits and I can follow through on it quickly.

  
The pillowcases I started making almost ten years ago fall into this category. I was thrilled when the pillowcase challenge went national! We can touch a lot of lives simply my making one small pillowcase. It's not much time or fabric; but it's satisfying to do it and it makes someone smile. 


Whether you are inspired by something you see in nature...



or something you read in a book...


Just relax and create something. 

Remember, you don't have to be perfect.




You just have to enjoy the process. The rest will follow.


And remember...


1 comment:

Unknown said...

How un inspired I was feeling this a.m. and then I read your blog. Thank you Joanne for being such an inspiration in my life! You rock!