Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Tip Tuesday! Notions Organization

Welcome to
"Tip Tuesday!" - Notions Organization

I love learning new things and then sharing that knowledge with my quilting friends. So, every Tuesday I'll provide some tips, hints, tricks, tutorials, shortcuts, etc. that I've learned over the years and share them here on the blog. 

"Tip Tuesday" will be a collection of information about a wide variety of subjects garnered from a large variety of sources.  I am not an expert by any means and do not take credit for being the great wizard behind all of these hints and tips. I will gladly give due credit whenever possible.

These tips will be archived and accessible to you just by clicking on the "Tip Tuesday" tab above. 

Read, enjoy, and be inspired! 

I don't know about you, but I hate wasting time looking for a ruler, rotary cutter or other notions in my sewing room. Now don't get me wrong. I am not the most organized person and I know that. My things can be in quite a disarray, but if I know where things are, I'm ok and I can be productive. (I admit, not as productive as I could be, but still productive.) It's when I have to stop and search, or worse yet, move things around because I don't have room, that things get a bit hairy.

Every so often, I find that I have piles of stuff (multiple rulers, cutters, pencils, thread, fabric, etc.) on my cutting and pressing stations and I have to move them around just so I can work. It doesn't take too many times of having to move the piles before I stop what I'm doing and put things away. 

Tonight, it was time! You can always tell what I've been working on when you look at my work surface. I've been cutting the Charming Stars blocks and way up in the top right corner, you can see that I've been binding. The bottom left corners shows that I was auditioning thread and making some notes while I was working. Oh, and the add-a quarter ruler says that my Prairie Star quilt is still in the "work on it" pile.  :-) 


Well, after taking just a little over five minutes, here's the notions' wall. Looks pretty good, doesn't it? I love this corner! It's a small space that packs a big punch. HERE is my original post about my notions corner. 


There are a lot of resources available to help you get your sewing space in order. Here is one book that I own and really like. I refer back to if frequently if I find that something just isn't working right. There are other books and I've seen them, but this is my "go to" book for all kinds of issues. Maybe it's the pictures. I'm a sucker for good pictures.


Check out the link HERE to get a glimpse of a few of the pages form the book. 

There are all kinds of resources that can be found on the internet. Simply do a search for organizing a sewing room (or similar wording) and you'll get lots of options.  For example, AllPeopleQuilt.com has 21 slides on organizing solutions. Here's the direct link.  


And there is always Pinterest! A person can spend HOURS searching through those pages.

No matter what type of organization you are looking for, be it for small spaces, fabric storage, notions organization, etc., you are not alone and there is help out there. 

I'd love to see what special organization tips you have! 

1 comment:

barbara woods said...

mine is not as nice but i have nails up to hang mine on